Warlords is the “action 4X” spin off to the Starpoint Gemini universe. Starpoint Gemini was already a great real time tactical space combat game, but the addition of 4X mechanics and a lot of “out of the box” thinking could make this a truly epic title.
I’m very interested to see what Little Green Men Games can achieve by harnessing the creative ideas of their entire fanbase.
Haarlem, The Netherlands
April 14, 2016
Publisher Iceberg Interactive and Croatian developer Little Green Men Games, today launched Starpoint Gemini Warlords, the next instalment of the highly successful Starpoint Gemini series, onto Steam’s Early Access program. The game introduces many sought after new features including the player headquarters, a giant space station, for storing the fleet and building new ships. As development of the game progresses, research can be conducted there on weapons, ships, structures and new HQ modules. Conquer, fight, salvage, rescue, mine, loot and trade your way to interstellar glory, in an immense galaxy, close to ten times bigger than in its predecessor Starpoint Gemini 2.
Created from the feedback and suggestions of the highly active player community, Starpoint Gemini Warlords combines action, space-sim, RPG and strategy elements to deliver the ultimate space experience.
Little Green Men Games’ CEO Mario Mihokovich says: “The time we spent in Early Access with Starpoint Gemini 2 was amazing, but what made it even better was all the great ideas the community gave us during that time. Warlords contains a vast part of that feedback and we’re eager to learn how the community will respond to witnessing their ideas coming to life. We’re looking forward to them joining us again on this new journey.”
About Starpoint Gemini Warlords
Humans, fleeing from the ruined Solar system trickled into Gemini in rag-tag convoys, their ships barely holding together. Planet Phaeneros, located in the farthest reaches of the Gemini system, abandoned long before Gemini gained its independence, will become their new home… your new home. You should prepare for what’s coming, captain. The Solari Concord needs you!
TWO MODES OF PLAY
The campaign mode continues the story from Starpoint Gemini 2 after the Gemini Protectorate and its allies managed to fend off the Brotherhood threat. The Empire, both in their mainspace and in Gemini have been wiped out. Only small pockets of resistance remain. Progress through the storyline at your own pace and make difficult choices along the way, changing how the storyline will ultimately play out.
The conquest mode is for the freeroamers. Strip away the campaign, but leave everything else and you have yourself the conquest mode. Create a story of your own and completely change the face of Gemini!
Warlords is a spin-off to our successful space sim Starpoint Gemini 2. The majority of the planned features and implemented ideas came directly from the SG2 community. All the things asked about and requested that we simply couldn’t implement in SG2, are now integrated into Warlords. And these are not minor features. We’re redoing entire sections of both gameplay and the underlying game engine.
The completed game once launched out of Early Access will include the following features:
– Headquarters. Construct and upgrade your own personal space station; a massive structure that enables you to conduct research, build ships, assemble autonomous fleets and much more.
– Conquer Territory. Gradually expand your reign over unclaimed territory, by battling minor factions, or conquer the entire Gemini sector, by facing off against familiar strong Gemini foes, familiar from the previous Starpoint Gemini titles. Reinforce conquered regions to defend themselves.
– Conduct Research on simple weapon enhancements, obtain the expertise to construct a titan class behemoth, or boost the effectiveness of your non-combat fleets. Equipment, ship systems, enhancements and ships can still be bought, but he best ‘stuff’ can only be researched, constructed and improved in your HQ.
– Construction and research demand the allocation of resources. Gather them by conducting missions for other factions, trade or purchase resources, or conquer regions providing a steady flow of resources, and bonuses.
– A far larger game world will allow more distinction between ship sizes, pockets of empty space to travel through and your own giant space HQ where ships can be ‘parked’.
– Skill classes, attributed skills and perk progression will be revamped and rebalanced, as will levelling-up, the reputation system and diplomacy.
– Storyline vs Free-roam: The campaign storyline will be blended in with the more generic conquer quests. Free-roam mode strips all main storyline missions, but leaves side quests and generic freelance missions intact.
– A full branching dialogue scheme, the industry standard in modern RPGs.
– Technical additions include: x64 system only, projection mapping, deferred shading, physically based rendering and realistic physics.
Features available in this Early Access version include:
– The full game world which is almost 10 times larger than the game world in Starpoint Gemini 2.
– Start with a prologue of the story-line and continue in Conquest mode.
– Headquarters features about 50% complete.
– 13 of 19 planned freelance mission types are in. Roughly half the modifiers too.
– 50% of planned ships are in (approx. 40)
– 60% of random encounter types are present. Roughly half the modifiers too.
– 1 of 4 character classes.
– Most of the ship’s equipment and weapons.
There is a massive feature list available on the forums that will be implemented during Early Access.
Play it Cool!